During the quarantine period in the spring of 2020, changes were made to atmospheric air pollution at city intersections
During the 1st quarter of 2020, the mobile laboratory of the communal enterprise “Administrative and Technical Office” recorded the expected significant improvement of air quality at the intersections of Lviv streets.
The air quality improvement compared to the first quarter of last year is from 2% at the Horodotska – Riashivska intersection, to 63% at the Svobody Ave – Beryndy intersection. At the Shevchenko – Levandivska intersection, the level of air pollution has decreased by 81%, as reconstruction works are added to the lack of transport traffic.
In 2020, the largest decrease in pollution at the following crossroads of Lviv compared to 2019 is as follows:
- St. Shevchenka – St. Levandivska – by 81% (the intersection was closed for repair and the cars were reduced here from 1932 on average to zero last year);
- Ave. Svobody – St. Beryndy – by 63% (number of vehicles decreased from 1416 to 876);
- Ave. Svobody – Sq. Mitskevycha – by 46% (number of cars – 1152 to 960 respectively);
- Sq. Osmomysla – St. Havryshkevycha – Krakivska (42%, from 1092 to 636);
- St. Lychakivska – Vynnychenka – Sq. Mytna (41%, although transport increased here from 1,140 to 1,188 units).
The laboratory measures the concentration of four substances: CO, NO, N2O, SO2 at the 30 most polluted crossroads of Lviv.
The improvement in air quality is explained by the limited operation of vehicles, which is the main pollutant of atmospheric air in the city. Which, in turn, testifies to the observance of quarantine conditions by Lviv citizens.
At the intersection of Horodotska – Riashivska the degree of pollution remained practically unchanged, which is explained by the more intensive flow of private motor transport from suburban areas by reducing the amount of suburban public transport.
At most intersections where pollution has decreased, the concentration of carbon monoxide has decreased significantly, although it may still exceed the 5 mg / m3 limit. The concentration of nitrogen dioxide also decreased.
Data from all intersections are presented in detail in the table
However, with the end of the quarantine we will have an increase in the number of vehicles, which will cause the air condition to return to the previous year or even make them worse.
In Lviv developed a program for air quality improving, which in terms of transport provides:
- maximum development and priority of public transport with priority of purchases of electric transport;
- improving conditions for active mobility (comfortable cycling and walking paths);
- promoting the implementation at national level of clear regulations on the class of emissions of motorised vehicles and ban for cars without serviceable gas catalysts.
In 2013, during the European Mobility Week, air pollution measurements were also carried out in the city. Then it turned out that the air in Rynok Square was 12 times cleaner than on Svobody Ave. More